Thursday, June 9, 2011

It’s all organic chicken manure

So, I’m driving to Trail, B.C., today and what do I see? A big, flashing sign. The kind they use for road closures and stuff. Except this one says “ORGANIC CHICKEN MANURE”.


Really? I was so moved by it (in the heart, not the bowel), that here I am, two years later, resurrecting my blog. It made me laugh. Only in rural B.C. Perhaps only in the West Kootenay. I dunno.


I brought the organic chicken manure topic up at dinner tonight. “What does it take to create organic manure?” I asked. I dummied it down a bit for the 6-year-old at the table. “What does it take to have an organic poo?” I asked. “Easy” say the kids. “Organic ice cream.”


Right! The chickens, in order to be organic, must be eating organic ice cream, which thereby makes them have organic poop. It then gets shoved into a plastic bag and sold to gardeners, which by in large live in rural areas, for $10 more than the stuff they can get out of their own chicken coops.


This, my friends, is brilliant. Marketing at its finest with a flashing street sign for communication. They should add someone dressed as a chicken and actually open an ice cream stand. Think of the possibilities! I wonder if it comes in different flavours …

No comments:

Post a Comment