Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Metro vs Bucolic

Today I met with an editor of a local newspaper. He told me to enter my (ancient?) press releases through his website and to make it no longer than 150 words.

My immediate reaction was: “How on earth can I make a story into a 150 word paragraph? What’s the point?” The point is this: People want snippets of info. Short, sweet, to the point. They want the “Metro, all-news radio” version (which is gaining popularity in major city centres). It makes sense I suppose. We are in information overload most of the time. Usually we don’t want to learn too much or it makes our head spin. However, this can also be dangerous. What’s the real story behind the snippet? How many will dig? What’s being covered up?

I wonder if a metro publication would work out here. We’d have to change the name from “Metro” to "Bucolic" or something…

No comments:

Post a Comment